Portable "asm" (Was: The D Programming Language)

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Fri Mar 4 04:04:24 AEST 1988

> ... It is just as easy, since C requires a ; to end a statement, to
> tell the compiler that until it sees ); to continue processing for the
> assembler, and to have some escape mechanism for inserting ); into the
> assembler statement...

Have you never heard of string escapes?  (If they don't work in asm()s
despite the resemblance to strings, speak to your compiler implementor
about this bug.)  Why re-invent the wheel?

Actually, my number one suggestion for D would be to avoid asm() entirely.
My C compiler doesn't support it; oddly enough, I have never missed it.
(It helps that Dennis Ritchie knew how to generate good local code.)
--
Those who do not understand Unix are |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
condemned to reinvent it, poorly.    | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry