Fortran could learn from C

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Fri Mar 4 04:29:01 AEST 1988

> I don't care if the preprocessing is integrated with the other phases of
> lexical analysis, just as long as it is possible for me to get the output
> from the preprocessor when I need it.  Will ANSI require that, or will it
> be implementation-dependent??

This is clearly an implementation issue, not a language issue, and X3J11
decided not to touch it.  You may, of course, wish to consider it when
deciding whether to buy a particular compiler.
--
Those who do not understand Unix are |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
condemned to reinvent it, poorly.    | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry