Fortran could learn from C

00704a-Liber nevin1 at ihlpf.ATT.COM
Wed Mar 2 10:56:20 AEST 1988

In article <7358 at brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:

>More to the point, it makes sense to integrate preprocessing with other
>phases of lexical analysis, and there are existing C implementations
>that do this.

Yes, but can I get the compiler to show me the code just after going
through the preprocessor?  I sometimes need to see this for debugging
purposes.

Example (this happened yesterday):  A bunch of symbols weren't being
defined, but the header file containing them was in the include path.
When I looked at the output of cpp, I noticed that the header file that
was included was in the current directory and not the one I was
expecting.  Without the output of cpp it would have taken me a heck of a
lot longer to find this problem.

I don't care if the preprocessing is integrated with the other phases of
lexical analysis, just as long as it is possible for me to get the output
from the preprocessor when I need it.  Will ANSI require that, or will it
be implementation-dependent??
--
 _ __			NEVIN J. LIBER	..!ihnp4!ihlpf!nevin1	(312) 510-6194
' )  )				"The secret compartment of my ring I fill