Fortran could learn from C

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Thu Mar 3 03:58:46 AEST 1988

In article <3872 at ihlpf.ATT.COM> nevin1 at ihlpf.UUCP (00704a-Liber,N.J.) writes:
>I don't care if the preprocessing is integrated with the other phases of
>lexical analysis, just as long as it is possible for me to get the output
>from the preprocessor when I need it.  Will ANSI require that, or will it
>be implementation-dependent??

It's not required by the current draft proposed standard, and I doubt that
this will be changed.  It is a "quality of implementation" or even "customer
satisfaction" issue.

You may be able to obtain a separate C preprocessor commercially or even
for free (e.g. from the GNU project) that you could use during debugging.