MSC Danger (was Re: Turbo C vs Quick C)

Jerry Fountain gof at crash.cts.com
Wed Mar 16 15:49:31 AEST 1988

In article <304 at wsccs.UUCP> terry at wsccs.UUCP (terry) writes:
>In article <1082 at dutesta.UUCP>, knop at dutesta.UUCP (Peter Knoppers) writes:
>>
>> Why, oh why don't the .obj files in MSDOS contain some bits telling
>> the linker whether a function in the .obj file expects to be called
>> with a FAR or a NEAR call. This can prevent accidentally linking
>> modules compiled for different models.
>

>  [lots more stuff deleted that don't really apply to this comment :-]

Digging around in the .obj file I did run across an interesting item.  MSC
*does* include a flag in the .obj to indicate the model for which the file
was generated.  The bad part is that only placed in the .obj for Xenix
compatibility.

(from MS-DOS encyclopedia, pg. 659)

COMENT record (0x88), comment class 0x9D

Hope this clears up this minor point...The info is there, LINK just ignores it.