Undelivered mail

MAILER%ALASKA.BITNET at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU MAILER%ALASKA.BITNET at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Mon Mar 14 01:23:22 AEST 1988

Subject:  MSC 4.0 Internal Compiler Error

[Non-Deliverable:  User does not exist or has never logged on]

Date:         Thu, 10 Mar 88 16:15:20 GMT
Sender:       Info-C List <INFO-C at NDSUVM1>
From:         Markku Savela <msa at clinet.fi>
Comments: To: info-c at BRL-SMOKE.arpa
To:           Vic Kapella <SXJVK at ALASKA>

    I got the following message from my Microsoft C Compiler (4.0)
while trying to compile one of my programs (using LARGE MODEL and
MS-DOS):

    thisbug.C(8) : fatal error 1: Internal Compiler Error
        (compiler file 'regMD.c', line 272)
        Contact Microsoft Technical Support

    Here is a much reduced (and stupid) program fragment which still
produces the same result:

    int x,y,i;
    struct MemCell {int Ntype; struct MemCell *Mem} MemLoc[1000];

    void grokit()
    {
        while (i++ < 10) MemLoc[y].Mem[i] = MemLoc[x];
    }

    It seems that the following things are required
    - LARGE MODEL (compiles using SMALL)
    - loop (while, for,...)
    - Mem is not the first field of the structure
    - and of course this double indexing...

    I do not expect any help on this. I surely can code around the
problem. I'm just reporting a bug for anyone interested (whether
this reaches Microsoft or not, I don't care).  (Perphaps Microsoft
should have a mailbox in the net for this kind of things -- this
is much easier than going through the regular routes...). And,
perhaps this doesn't occur in MSC 5.0 or 5.1 any more...

-- Markku Savela,   msa at clinet.fi
-- (Note: I cannot send mail -- do not expect mail replys)