Header problems

Richard Harter g-rh at cca.CCA.COM
Wed Mar 9 09:40:10 AEST 1988

In article <3351 at chinet.UUCP> dag at chinet.UUCP (Daniel A. Glasser) writes:
>In article <7412 at brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>
>Your use of NULL === 0 promotes unportable code, and is considered to be
>bad programming style in a world where portability across multiple machine
>architectures (ie, PDP-11, VAX-11, M680x0, I80x86 and Z800x) is required
>for commercial reasons.

	This comes up regularly.  There is nothing wrong defining NULL as
0; it does not make for non-portability.  The fault lies in passing NULL
as an uncasted pointer across a calling sequence.  Since lint will tell
you about this, there is no good reason for this happening.  In actual
fact, I am wary of using (void *)0 for portability reasons -- I don't
know (and don't care) if all implementations that I have to deal with
handle it correctly.  I do know that all implementations handle
(proper_type *)0 correctly.  [Actually I don't know that, but I've never
seen it fail.]

Are the graves of dreams allowed to die.
	Richard Harter, SMDS  Inc.