Header problems

Dave Decot decot at hpisod2.HP.COM
Thu Mar 3 13:56:28 AEST 1988

If I am reading from an old draft, or am misunderstanding something,
please feel free to (gently!) correct me.

The requirement that headers described by the ANSI-C draft shall
not define any "stray" (implementation-specific or internal) types or
constants, and the requirement that inclusion of only one header
shall be required for the use of any ANSI-C library function,
should be dropped.

While trying to avoid "name space pollution" is admirable,
these requirements require implementations to break thousands of existing
applications, or to define all constants in all headers.

There is no place that I can define existing non-ANSI defined "extensions",
since constants for them cannot be placed in the appropriate header,
and I am not allowed to require applications to include another.

I don't know in which header to define "NULL", since it is
required by facilities that also require other constants,
and I am not allowed to add these other constants to <stddef.h>.

Dave Decot
hpda!decot