New K&R edition

dmr at alice.UUCP dmr at alice.UUCP
Sat Mar 19 16:52:09 AEST 1988

Someone just got a blurb from Prentice-Hall advertising a second edition
of the White Book.  I guess P-H is doing their job!

Next to me is a warm-off-the-press copy of that very book,
delivered today by our editor.  I'm assured that bulk shipments will
start in a couple of weeks.

	The C Programming Language, second edition
	B. W. Kernighan and D. M. Ritchie
	Prentice-Hall, 1988
	ISBN 0-13-110362-8  (paper)	$28.00   272 pages
	ISBN 0-13-110370-9  (cloth)	$40.00

Overall the structure resembles that of the first edition, but
it has been thoroughly overhauled.  The language it describes is
that of the ANSI X3J11 draft of December*.  It has new examples
(including a simple version of cdecl), more discussion of pointers,
a list of changes from the original language, discussions of
language changes interleaved into the reference manual, a YACCable
grammar, and a description of the ANSI library routines.

The cover is still white.

The first edition remains in print.
----
* "noalias" is mentioned only in footnotes.

		Dennis Ritchie