The D Programming Language

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Thu Mar 3 03:52:20 AEST 1988

In article <2809 at haddock.ISC.COM> karl at haddock.ima.isc.com (Karl Heuer) writes:
>If sizeof were measured in bits ...
>In article <7359 at brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>>My "short char" proposal did not REQUIRE bit addressability, but it did
>>allow it to be exploited if the implementor decided it was wanted.
>>(1 = sizeof(short char) <= sizeof(char).)

The reason for not insisting on sizeof() being in bits was that it would
add at least three bits to the required size_t for a byte-oriented
implementation, with no particular gain in that case.

>Yes, let's make *all* statements return values ...

I once designed a language like this for a special purpose.  It worked, but
you need to figure out what to do about declarations.  What values should
they return?