Bit Addressable Architectures

Earl Killian earl at mips.COM
Tue Mar 8 09:39:00 AEST 1988

In article <7374 at sol.ARPA> crowl at cs.rochester.edu (Lawrence Crowl) writes:

   A bit addressable machine would allow us to use single bits,
   nibbles, BCD, etc.  with much greater ease.  Besides, bit
   addressability seems "right".  (I know, "right" isn't a rational
   statement!)

It's more right in certain environments.  For example the TI 34010
graphics processor is bit-addressed, which is a good match for pixel
operations.  Also, when we have 64-bit addresses, using bit addresses
will make sense (this is independent of whether you have bit
load/stores).