Bit Addressable Architectures

Brian Case bcase at Apple.COM
Wed Mar 9 04:47:59 AEST 1988

In article <1799 at gumby.mips.COM> earl at mips.COM (Earl Killian) writes:
>It's [BIT ADDRESSABILITY] more right in certain environments.
>For example the TI 34010
>graphics processor is bit-addressed, which is a good match for pixel
>operations.  Also, when we have 64-bit addresses, using bit addresses
>will make sense (this is independent of whether you have bit
>load/stores).

Just as a point of interest, bit addressability does not win in certain
graphics environments; there are planar, chunky, and chunky-planar graphics
organizations (probably there are more, but I am not a graphics type),
and in chunky, bit addressability gains very little.  For 8-bits per
pixel in chunky, byte addressability is wonderful.  For 24-bits plus
alpha, 32-bit word addressability is great.  This is according to the
graphics guys here.  BTW, the TI 34010 is none too fast.