The need for D-scussion (was Re: D Wishlist)

Tim Olson tim at amdcad.AMD.COM
Tue Mar 15 04:29:07 AEST 1988

In article <3732 at bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> tada at athena.mit.edu (Michael Zehr) writes:

| Here's another one for the D wishlist:
|
| a function the returns both a % b and a / b at the same time.
|
| I know I've had to call those routines with the same values consecutively
| in code that needed to run fast, and if i understand the library right, they
| both compute the pair of values, but a different one is returned.  Why not
| give the option of getting them both at the same time?

If you have a good compiler, you can already get this.  The low-level
divide function for the MetaWare - Am29000 C compiler returns the /
value in the specified register, and returns the % value in the standard
function return-value register.  Therefore, in code like

	while (n > 0) {
		buf[i++] = (n%10) + '0';
		n /= 10;
	}

only one call to the low-level divide routine is made.

	-- Tim Olson
	Advanced Micro Devices
	(tim at amdcad.amd.com)