volatile (in comp.lang.c)

00704a-Liber nevin1 at ihlpf.ATT.COM
Thu May 12 11:17:50 AEST 1988

In article <225800029 at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>I believe that a language, per se, should be divided into a "portable"
>part and a language-specified non-portable syntax.

But what does 'language-specified non-portable' really mean?  The problem
is, 'volatile' means different things on different machines and even in
different implementations on the same machine.  If it can't be
well-defined, it shouldn't be in the language.  Personally, I feel that
there is a need for 'volatile' in C, but the way it is specified in dpANS C
is not good enough for it to be useful.
--
 _ __			NEVIN J. LIBER	..!ihnp4!ihlpf!nevin1	(312) 510-6194
' )  )				"The secret compartment of my ring I fill