Zortech C++

Jerry Schwarz jss at hector.UUCP
Fri May 27 06:19:15 AEST 1988

In article <8805261601.AA22106 at decwrl.dec.com> nadkarni at erlang.dec.com.UUCP writes:
>I received some info in the mail yesterday which I thought might be of
>
>Announcing a C++ compiler from Zortech Inc. (617-646-6703).
>List price (the best part) - $99, Fully conformant with Bjarne Stroustrup's
>definition, ANSI C superset, true compiler (not just a preprocessor), includes
 ^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>QuickC/TUrboC compatible libraries, library source for 400 functions,
>MS codeview compatible, generates MS compatible obj files, programming editor,
>linker and librarian included, includes a global optimizer, 700+ pages docs.

This is, of course, impossible since C++ as defined by Bjarne is not
an ANSI C superset, and cannot easily be made into a superset.
This has been discussed in comp.lang.c++ many times in the past,
and probably will be again.  Briefly, the important problems are
the separate namespace of tags and variables in ANSI and the
interpretation of a function declaration with an empty parameter list.

Jerry Schwarz