Assembly or ....

Dave Dodson dodson at mozart.uucp
Wed Nov 23 00:45:21 AEST 1988

In article <1388 at aucs.UUCP> 861087p at aucs.UUCP (A N D R E A S) writes:

>     Since this are Newsgroups that mainly programmers write I
>would like to ask them if it really worth it to spend time to
>learn assembly language.
>   I hope I'll get some answers from you guys !!

I believe it is important to learn assembly language for some computer
because that is how you learn how computers _really_ work.  This knowledge
can help you program better in any language.

Also, there are certain pieces of code that may be worth coding in
assembly language because speed is very important or because they can't
easily be coded in a machine-independent fashion in a high level language
anyway.  In the former case, recall that in many programs, most of the
run time is spent executing only a few lines of source code; thus it may
be necessary to write only a small amount of assembly language.  In the
latter case, assembly language is no less portable and may actually be
more readable, especially if the high level language is not very suitable
for the task at hand.