Response to Alan Holub's Last Column

David Goodenough dg at lakart.UUCP
Tue Oct 11 07:25:32 AEST 1988

In article <8648 at smoke.ARPA>, by gwyn at smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) sez:
> Hey, what does all this have to do with C?
> Please find some other newsgroup or use mail.
> Thanks.

The title of Alan Holub's column sums it up.

"C Chest"

The point here is that I for one read (past tense) DDJ mainly for
Alan's excellent articles, just as I read comp.lang.c / comp.unix.wizards
for your, Chris Torek's, Henry Spencer's etc. etc. excellent postings. A
lot of people (myself included) have found the behaviour of DDJ extremely
unpleasant in this matter, to the point that my subscription (and at
least 30 others that I have seen) have been cancelled.

I agree that this discussion has little to do with writing in C
directly, but I was under the impression that most newsgroups do
tend to get a bit of posting that is relevant (maybe) but not in
the same subject matter as the main thread of the group.

There are times when I'd like to kill some people for inappropriate
postings that linger on and on, but what I do is use vn, and skip articles
by subject when I know I don't like that thread (for those without vn
try the 'n' key from time to time :-) ).
--
	dg at lakart.UUCP - David Goodenough		+---+
							| +-+-+
	....... !harvard!xait!lakart!dg			+-+-+ |
AKA:	dg%lakart at harvard.harvard.edu		  	  +---+