Rearranging FP expressions

Joe English english at panarea.usc.edu
Tue Sep 27 13:56:06 AEST 1988

In article <4700017 at m.cs.uiuc.edu> wsmith at m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>I realize this topic has been beat to death and its probably too late
>for the ANSI C committee to do anything about it, but here's a suggestion
>anyway.
>
>The problem:  How can C know when it is safe to rearrange expressions,
>		especially floating point expressions.

Didn't I read somewhere that the unary + operator can be used to
suppress rearrangement of the enclosed expression?  (as in
+(a + b - c + d) )  This could be ANSI, or it could just be another
Borland or gcc extension that I remember seeing.

Which reminds me: are there any good books out yet giving a complete
description of the dpANS?  I wish K&R had waited another coupla months
before they published Edition 2...

      /|/|
-----< | | Joe English
  O   \|\| ARPA: english%lipari at oberon.usc.edu