Rearranging FP expressions

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Thu Sep 29 14:47:21 AEST 1988

In article <12393 at oberon.USC.EDU> english at panarea.usc.edu (Joe English) writes:
>Didn't I read somewhere that the unary + operator can be used to
>suppress rearrangement of the enclosed expression? ...

In some intermediate drafts of X3J11 C it could; not any more.  (One of
the perils of knowing about non-final drafts is that some of what you
know eventually turns out to be wrong.)

>Which reminds me: are there any good books out yet giving a complete
>description of the dpANS? ...

Not unless you count K&R2.  How can there be?  The dpANS is still changing!
(There is a hope that it won't change much more, but that is a hope only.)
Once there is a real, true ANSI C standard, you can expect a flood of books
about it.  Until then, the closest you can come is the latest X3J11 draft
(which isn't fun reading, let me tell you...).
--
The meek can have the Earth;    |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
the rest of us have other plans.|uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu