Machine-independent intermediate languages

Eric S. Raymond eric at snark.UUCP
Thu Sep 29 06:20:16 AEST 1988

The comp.arch discussion thread "Re: Software distribution" seems to me to
have drifted off into a lot of pointless theologizing. Let's try for a reality
check.

Let's start by asking the question:

	1) What properties distinguish a MLL from a HLL?

That is: how do I look at the semantics, performance, and portability of
a set of languages and sort the MIILs from the HLLs? Next:

	2) Are the portability goals for which MIILs are designed achievable
	   at all, given the diversity of today's architectures?

and, finally

	3) If the answer to 2 is 'yes', *can those goals be achieved with
	   lower complexity and cost than an HLL compiler?*

If the answer to 3 is 'no', as I suspect, then I submit that we already have
as good an MIIL as we're ever going to get.

It's called 'C'.
--
      Eric S. Raymond                     (the mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)
      UUCP: ...!{uunet,att,rutgers}!snark!eric = eric at snark.UUCP