division

Larry Meadows lfm at fpssun.fps.com
Tue Sep 20 05:33:07 AEST 1988

In article <650 at wsccs.UUCP>, val at wsccs.UUCP (Val Kartchner) writes:

>      I have written some long integer math routines (ADD, SUB, MUL), but I
>      need to know the most efficient way to divide.  Assume that you have
>      two character strings of arbitrary length.

I assume you want a non-binary integer division routine.  Binary is easy, just
a shift & subtract.  The best arbitrary precision division routine I have seen
is in D.E. Knuth, Seminumerical Algorithms (A.ofC.P. Vol 2).  I'd give the
page # but don't have that volume here at "work".
--
Larry Meadows @ FPS			...!tektronix!fpssun!lfm
					...!nosun!fpssun!lfm