Allen Holub on DDJ & C-Chest (long)

Tom Limoncelli limonce at pilot.njin.net
Fri Sep 9 12:22:29 AEST 1988

In article <6375 at orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> kramer at bionette.CS.ORST.EDU (Jack Kramer - CMBL) writes:

> I, and I hope many others stopped reading DDJ when they started publishing
> articles only as advertisements for the sale of the described code.  I find
> the niche that they previously filled more than adequately taken over by
> Computer Language and Byte.  I also now apolgize to Allen since I attributed
> much of the direction taken on charging for published code mistakenly to him.

Hmmm... Byte lost it's good "techie-edge" and became a
hardware/software review magazine.  Well, they also have their
benchmarks... but I don't have too much respect for benchmarks.
(My new benchmark is an infinite loop.  So far all recorded timings
have been marked with a footnote stating "Took so long that I just
aborted it".  I think it says about as much about a CPU as many of the
older benchmarks around :-)  )

Hmmm... DDJ lost it's good "techie-edge" and became a programer's
catalog.

Hmmm... I can name a couple others too.

Hmmm... there aren't many left.  The journal of the ACM is nice.
Maybe I could start a magazine?  Then in a couple years I can sell it
to MBAs for a big profit and... oh... never mind.

Tom (in a silly mood... sorry)
--
       Tom Limoncelli -- Drew University, Box 1060, Madison, NJ 07940
  TLimonce at Drew.Bitnet -- limonce at pilot.njin.net -- VoiceMail (201)408-5389