Allen Holub on DDJ & C-Chest (long)

Norman Diamond diamond at csl.sony.JUNET
Mon Sep 12 13:38:58 AEST 1988

In article <Sep.8.22.22.29.1988.15702 at pilot.njin.net>, limonce at pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:

> Hmmm... Byte lost its good "techie-edge" and became a
> hardware/software review magazine.
> Hmmm... DDJ lost its good "techie-edge" and became a programer's
> catalog.
> Hmmm... I can name a couple others too.
> Hmmm... there aren't many left.
> Maybe I could start a magazine?  Then in a couple years I can sell it
> to MBAs for a big profit and... oh... never mind.
> Tom (in a silly mood... sorry)

Yes, starting a new magazine is the only way to do it.  The same is
true of most manufacturing companies too; once their market is
established, they lose their "techie-edge" and concentrate on other
ways of "promoting" their products.  That's why a certain fraction
of new startups become famous and respected, while long-established
companies become infamous and ....
No one could blame you for selling to MBAs for a big profit.  Just
please guarantee that subscriptions can always be cancelled with
refunds.
  The above opinions are my own.   |   Norman Diamond
  If they're also your opinions,   |   Sony Computer Science Laboratory, Inc.
  you're infringing my copyright.  |   diamond%csl.sony.junet at uunet.uu.net