C, and what it is for

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.ARPA
Wed Sep 21 06:30:42 AEST 1988

In article <615 at accelerator.eng.ohio-state.edu> rob at kaa.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rob Carriere) writes:
>Marvelous.  Now how does this answer the complaint ...

First of all, don't replace my words with your mistaken summary of them
(the "[...]" stuff you put under my attribution in your response).

Next, the relevance of my comment was that many things various members
of the "numerical programming community" have said they need to be added
to C are not in fact necessary and some of them would be a bad idea for
the language as a whole.  Some of the requests are reasonable, and some
have in fact been acted on by X3J11.  The one system programmer who
suggested that C should only be used for system programming, that
prompted your initial response, certainly does not speak for the entire
C community.  In fact I do a large amount of numerical programming in C.