ranlib

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Fri Aug 4 07:13:58 AEST 1989

In article <457 at mccc.UUCP> pjh at mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>Some recently posted programs have requested the use of 'ranlib' but my
>3B2/400 SV R3.1 doesn't have it.
>Wjat is 'ranlib'?  What can I use as a work-around?

"ranlib" was a utility supplied with 7th Edition UNIX that added or updated
a special archive member that constituted a table of entry points for the
object modules contained in the archive.  System V "ar" takes care of this
automatically and so there is no need for a separate "ranlib" operation on
System V.  If you have a sensible Makefile, it will use a symbolic name
like RANLIB which you can set to e.g. "echo" or ":" for System V.