Novice soft key question...

John Mundt john at chinet.chi.il.us
Sat Aug 5 04:44:11 AEST 1989

In article <11086 at polya.Stanford.EDU> wolfe at Polya.Stanford.EDU (Michael R. Wolfe) writes:
>  I'm trying to write an application using soft keys on a Unix machine
>Getchar and getc are buffered, so I've been trying to set the terminal
>to raw mode the only way I've gotten it to work at all is through
>Curses, which I don't really need.  How have others solved this
>problem?  (I'm sure that it's pretty basic).

Easiest is just to put a newline at the end of each function key string
but that makes it pretty terminal specific.

Then, there is MINICURSES, which is a subset of curses and doesn't add that
much to your executable.  It is much too much of a hassle to go to raw mode
and not have terminal strings interpeted for you.  Really!  You'd have to
all the processing for backspaces, interrupts, etc.

--
John Mundt   Teachers' Aide, Inc.  P.O. Box 1666  Highland Park, IL
john at chinet.chi.il.us
(312) 998-5007 (Day voice) || -432-8860 (Answer Mach) && -432-5386 Modem