Curses question...

Gene McManus nts0699 at dsacg1.UUCP
Fri Aug 11 23:29:28 AEST 1989

>From article <11157 at polya.Stanford.EDU>, by wolfe at polya.Stanford.EDU (Michael R. Wolfe):
>
>   I'm trying to write an application which deals with menus.  I'd
> like to be able to scroll up and down a menu, as well as scroll up
> and down a file and highlight certain lines.
>
>   I've tryed using Curses but can't see how to do it.  I can't seem to
> get a window which is larger than the screen, even using pads.  Pads
> seem very touchy.  For example, if I define a pad to be a certain
> size, it will appear to work, but if I make it one line larger or
> shorter, I'll get seqmentation faults..
>
>   Has anyone managed to get anything like this to work?
>
> -Mike
> wolfe at polya.stanford.edu

An excellent(!) book on this subject is "Advanced C Programming for
Displays" from Prentiss-Hall by Marc Roschkind (not exactly sure of
the name's spelling). Uses a project oriented approach to teach
development of virtual screens and displays using Curses, Termcap
MS-DOS and does a lot work in portability among these platforms.

Gene  (I have no affiliation with either Marc or P-H)

Gene McManus @ Defense Logistics Agency Systems Automation Center,
	       Columbus, OH 43215 (614) 238-9403,    Autovon 850-
Internet:       gmcmanus at dsacg1.dla.mil
UUCP:		{uunet!gould,cbosgd!osu-cis}!dsacg1!gmcmanus
The views expressed are my own, not those of The Agency, or Dept. of Defense