UNIX-like crypt function

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Wed Aug 23 14:58:30 AEST 1989

In article <164 at spam.ua.oz> wvenable at spam.oz.au (Bill Venables) writes:
> Let me confirm (although noone seems to doubt it) that the crypt() facility
> is not available on UNIX machines in Australia, and I must say I find this
> circumstance, although petty, a rather gratuitous insult from Uncle Sam.

It may not be distributed in commercial releases, but I guarantee that
some UNIX system in Australia does have all the usual UNIX crypt code,
obtained at a time when nobody was paying much attention to this matter.

I don't think Uncle Sam was trying to be insulting, just bureaucrats
applying rules blindly rather than judging situations on their own merits.