UNIX-like crypt function

Robert Claeson prc at erbe.se
Thu Aug 24 19:18:36 AEST 1989

In article <10802 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <164 at spam.ua.oz> wvenable at spam.oz.au (Bill Venables) writes:
>> Let me confirm (although noone seems to doubt it) that the crypt() facility
>> is not available on UNIX machines in Australia, and I must say I find this
>> circumstance, although petty, a rather gratuitous insult from Uncle Sam.

>It may not be distributed in commercial releases, but I guarantee that
>some UNIX system in Australia does have all the usual UNIX crypt code,
>obtained at a time when nobody was paying much attention to this matter.

You get it if you buy a UNIX source license. Some computer companies in
Europe distributes both the crypt command and the library function with
the UNIX'es for their box'es. And many (some?) U.S. computer manufacturers
provides the crypt function in the library, even though they not always
includes the crypt command.

          Robert Claeson      E-mail: rclaeson at erbe.se
	  ERBE DATA AB