trigraphs (was Why are character arrays special)

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Wed Feb 15 00:15:52 AEST 1989

In article <1875 at dataio.Data-IO.COM> bright at Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) writes:
>It's irritating to have to implement a feature that nobody in their right
>mind is going to use, and that has such a negative impact on the product.

Indeed (he says, wincing at the mangerial misuse of the word `impact').
My suggestion is to provide two separate versions of the compiler, one
that completely ignores trigraphs, and one that optionally scans them.
The installation sequence, then, might go like this:

	This package comes with two versions of the compiler.
	The fast one does not implement trigraphs, and is therefore
	not an ANSI C compiler.  The slow one does implement trigraphs.
	If you want to use trigraphs, install the slow compiler,
	otherwise use the fast compiler.  See Appendix A if you
	decide you want to switch.

	Do you want to have trigraphs available?

If the user answers `yes', the next prompt is:

	Why?

:-)