Turbo C 2.0 vs MSC 5.1

Juhani Grano grano at kreeta.cs.Helsinki.FI
Fri Jul 14 09:18:10 AEST 1989

In article <3607 at cps3xx.UUCP> usenet at cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:
!CUrrently, I'm trying to decide if I like Zortech C better than Turbo C.
!The facilities for generating interrupt functions are far easier to use
!and the online help TSR is great. I use MicroEmacs instead of going
!through Turbo's integrated development env. so I have no access to their
!online help when editting. Unfortunately, Zortech has no inline
!assembler, but does provide a macro package that makes generating
!assembler modules far easier. I haven't tried ZOrtech's debugger yet.
!I generally use codeview or turbo debugger and look at the stack frames
!by hand.

Borland supplies an utility programme called THELP bundled with TC 2.0.
This is a resident utility, which allows the use of TC online help via
your favorite editor. I use it with MicroEmacs.

Another point about Microsoft C that has not been mentioned is that many
third-party libraries depend heavily upon it. I had to purchase
Microsoft C 5.1 for my current project for that reason, though I prefer the
graphics features of Turbo C. MSC 5.1 offers some graphics support too,
though, and it's compile time is better than with MSC 4.0, but still
sooou far behind TC... sigh.

Another point. The CodeView debugger supplied with MSC seems to be able
to handle larger programs than the Turbo Debugger supplied with TC
Professional package. I have successfully debugged 300+ KB programs with
it, having the standard 640K core. With TD, I remember having
difficulties with 200+ KB programs.