lint won't verify printf formatting against variable types??

Tim McDaniel mcdaniel at uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu
Mon Jul 10 14:45:17 AEST 1989

In article <10459 at socslgw.csl.sony.JUNET> diamond at csl.sony.junet
(Norman Diamond) writes:
> You should only hate the people who force us to continue using C, 15
> years after such defects are known.

I hate it when this sort of thing happens.  To the guy holding the gun
to Norman's head, forcing him to use C: cut it out, will ya?

Seriously, I suppose Norman means that there is no language that
- has a better syntax than C
- has expressive power not much less than C's
- is as portable and commonly supported as C
and that the lack of such a language requires that he use C.

While I too would like to see such a language, I submit that nobody in
particular *owes* it to us.
--
"Let me control a planet's oxygen supply, and I don't care who makes
the laws." - GREAT CTHUHLU'S STARRY WISDOM BAND (via Roger Leroux)
    \               mcdaniel at uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu
    /\       mcdaniel%uicsrd@{uxc.cso.uiuc.edu,uiuc.csnet}
  _/  \_     {uunet,convex,pur-ee}!uiucuxc!uicsrd!mcdaniel