lint won't verify printf formatting against variable types??

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Fri Jul 7 06:04:18 AEST 1989

In article <10459 at socslgw.csl.sony.JUNET> diamond at csl.sony.junet (Norman Diamond) writes:
>You should not hate C.  You should only hate the people who force us
>to continue using it, 15 years after such defects are known.

C use has spread like wildfire in recent years, and it is improbable that
much of that was due to anyone "forcing" the new C users to use it.  They
may be just "camp followers", or they may have chosen C on its (relative)
merits, or for any of a number of reasons.

I'm personally intimately familiar with C's quirks and deficiencies,
but I still use it for the majority of applications because it fills
its ecological niche much better than any alternative.  I suspect many
other C users have similar reasons.