Does NEWLINE always flush stdio buffer?

Norman Diamond diamond at diamond.csl.sony.junet
Thu Jul 6 15:37:57 AEST 1989

In article <11012 at ihlpl.ATT.COM> knudsen at ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) writes:

>I'd always understood that printf'ing any string ending in '\n'
>(newline) would flush the I/O buffer.

On the BSD 4.3 system I use, fprintf to --> stderr <--, with stderr
defaulted to a --> terminal <--, and the string ending in --> '\n' <--,
STILL doesn't flush automatically.  I learned fflush very quickly.

--
Norman Diamond, Sony Computer Science Lab (diamond%csl.sony.jp at relay.cs.net)
 The above opinions are claimed by your machine's init process (pid 1), after