Does NEWLINE always flush stdio buffer?

Reinhard Foessmeier foessmei at lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de
Wed Jul 5 17:01:11 AEST 1989

In article <11012 at ihlpl.ATT.COM> knudsen at ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) writes:
>I'd always understood that printf'ing any string ending in '\n'
>(newline) would flush the I/O buffer.
>Does anyone know the "official" rules of the traditional stdio
>library?  (Not the ANSII standard; I'm dealing with an older
>system).  Thanks, mike k

The System V manual says (setbuf (3) that "by default, output to a terminal
line is buffered and all other input/output is fully buffered".  So, the
behavior observed by you seems to be correct standard.

Reinhard F\"ossmeier, Technische Univ. M\"unchen |  "Lasciate ogni speranza,
foessmeier at infovax.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de |      voi che entrate!"
   [ { relay.cs.net | unido.uucp } ]             |      (Dante, Inferno)