Wanted: advice on a good C textbook

Gary M. Samuelson garys at bunker.UUCP
Tue Jul 18 01:25:23 AEST 1989

In article <1900 at prune.bbn.com> rsalz at bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:
>< What I need is a good intro book to C
>< programming...

>>I *highly* recommend _The C Puzzle Book_.

>Ick.  I highly disrecommend this book.  It teaches you to debug code that
>only a psychopath would write, and warps you into looking for things that
>are almost never there.

I haven't read _The C Puzzle Book_, but learning to debug code
that only a psychopath (or should that be sociopath?) would write
is a marketable skill.  In some places, it is a requirement.
I wish that everybody who had ever worked for or produced code for
this company had learned how to write easily-readable source code,
but such is not the case.

One would hope that having to deal with psychopathic code would
lead to the resolution never to write such code, but unfortunately,
that doesn't necessarily happen, either.

>Stay as far away from such code as possible!

I do stay as far away as possible; sometimes, "as far as possible"
is less than "as far as I would like."

Gary Samuelson