Wanted: advice on a good C textbook

Ari Halberstadt ari at eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Mon Jul 17 04:28:54 AEST 1989

Books I like (besides K&R):
-- Andrew Koenig, "C Traps and Pit Falls", Addison-Wesley, Reading,
Massachusetts (1989). ESSENTIAL!
-- Stephen Kochan, "Programming in ANSI C", Hayden Books, Indianapolis,
Indiana (1988).
-- A Book on C (I can't remember the author/publisher...).

UNIX books:
-- Brian Kernigan and Rob Pike "The UNIX Programming Environment",
Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey (1984).
-- Marc Rochkind, "Advanced UNIX Programming", Prentice-Hall, Engelwood
Cliffs, New Jersey, (1985).

I never liked the puzzle book. I more or less agree with the person who wrote
(but I wouldn't have used such strong lanugage):