what is BSS and BSSEND

Tim_CDC_Roberts at cup.portal.com Tim_CDC_Roberts at cup.portal.com
Wed Mar 8 03:32:20 AEST 1989

In article <15487 at cup.portal.com>, Joseph C McDonald asks:

> ... what to BSS and BSSEND stand for?

Time to open our ancient history tomes.  I am sure some other poster will
be able to provide the original assembler to define these pseudo-ops, but
"BSS" stands for "Block Starting with Symbol".  It is typically an
assembler pseudo-op to reserve storage without initialization.  Your
C compiler is probably gathering the uninitialized items into one location.
Of course, in C this is a little contradictory, since no item is truly
uninitialized.

The Control Data assemblers for NOS and for NOS/VE still use "BSS" to
define storage.  Unverifiable rumor holds that there used to be a "BES"
pseudo for "Block Ending at Symbol", although it is difficult to see a
practical use for such a beast.

- Tim_CDC_Roberts at cup.portal.com                     Control Data...
...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!tim_cdc_roberts         ...or it will control you