Question about C sound capabilities

John Kallen jkl at csli.STANFORD.EDU
Fri Mar 10 20:40:23 AEST 1989

In article <16574 at cisunx.UUCP> jcbst3 at unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (James C. Benz) groovily writes:
>In article <1917 at cveg.uucp> arb2 at hcx.uucp (BOB BARKER) writes:
>>
>> I am new to the C language, and I would like to know if the language has
>> the capability to produce sound, or more specificly music.
>
>Uhh...depends a lot on the hardware.  On an Amiga, or an Atari, sure can.

uhh... C as a language has *no* capability of producing sound,
regardless of the hardware you're using. C has *no* I/O operations
defined in the language (as opposed to something disgusting like
BAS*C). I/O is taken care of by library functions or system calls.

*If* you have a machine that does support sound, and *if* the libraries
for your computer have sound routines that can be accessed from C as
function calls, then you're set. But C alone won't help you at all...

John.