#endif <name> ???

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.UUCP
Thu Oct 5 09:09:48 AEST 1989

In article <JFR.89Oct4133101 at tel3.tel3.tel.vtt.fi>, jfr at tel3.tel3.tel.vtt.fi (Jim Reilly) writes:
> it has the following definition for sparc.  The `#endif sparc`
> never caused any complaints on the sun's normal C compiler, but our
> 'Designer C++' compiler doesn't like it.  Is this just something
> funny with the c compilers on the SUN ?  At least I didn't find
> it in any C or ANSI C manuals around here.

The data to the right of the #else, #endif, etc used to be ignored, but
this was deemed to be unacceptable for certain compiler environments.
It is a no no, but most compilers just compain about it with a warning, but
compile anyway.

There was never any real use of this data, it was just a comment that
was allowed to exist without the /* */.

The safe way to do this is to always use the /* label */ which will work
in either of the environments.