#endif <name> ???

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Thu Oct 5 06:41:46 AEST 1989

In article <JFR.89Oct4133101 at tel3.tel3.tel.vtt.fi> jfr at tel3.tel3.tel.vtt.fi (Jim Reilly) writes:
>... The `#endif sparc`
>never caused any complaints on the sun's normal C compiler, but our
>'Designer C++' compiler doesn't like it.  Is this just something
>funny with the c compilers on the SUN ?  At least I didn't find
>it in any C or ANSI C manuals around here.

Many Unix implementations have historically permitted putting any sort
of garbage after `endif', but neither K&R nor ANSI C has ever endorsed
putting anything but a comment there, and many compilers not derived
from the original Unix ones are fussier about this.
--
Nature is blind; Man is merely |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
shortsighted (and improving).  | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu