This one bit me today

Wm E Davidsen Jr davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM
Wed Oct 11 02:26:35 AEST 1989

In article <2437 at hub.UUCP>, dougp at voodoo.ucsb.edu writes:
|  You can have a**p, a+*p, a-*p but not a/*p this is an inconsistancy
|  in the grammar. This wouldn't have been so bad but for a bug in
|  the Microsoft C compiler such that:
|
|  // c=a/*p;
|     e=f*q;   /*comment*/
|
|  causes the statment e=f*p; to be commented out. the /* in the line
|  commented out by // is seen as the beginning of the comment. This made
|  localizing the error an hour job.

  I'm missing something... what is the bug? /* starts a comment, */ ends
it. What behavior would you have expected which is more correct.

  Please clarify, I realize I may be missing you point, but this looks
like correct behavior to me. It conforms to 3.1.9 of the proposed std.
--
bill davidsen	(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
that the world is flat!" - anon