ambiguous ?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Wed Oct 25 06:08:24 AEST 1989

In article <483 at idacrd.UUCP> desj at idacrd.UUCP (David desJardins) writes:
-From article <11388 at smoke.BRL.MIL>, by gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn):
-> The mathematical formalisms to which you allude do not deal with
-> side effects, which is the only thing that makes evaluation order
-> an issue.
-   I don't agree with this.  Efficiency can also be a major issue.  It
-makes sense to say that you want one expression evaluated first if you
-expect that the second one is more expensive to evaluate and/or less
-likely to be needed.

You must have missed my point; check out the article to which I was
replying, then re-read my response.

I wasn't talking about whether or not control of evaluation order
is DESIRABLE.  The case you argue is one that I basically agree with.