ambiguous ? (God? Will you forgive me for starting this?)

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sat Oct 28 04:19:47 AEST 1989

In article <21461 at gryphon.COM> bagpiper at pnet02.gryphon.com (Michael Hunter) writes:
>gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>>Most C programmers that I know chose to use C without any prompting
>>from management.  Hell, our management isn't qualified to choose
>>programming languages for us.
>Unfortunately they DON'T always think that!

Sure, there are lots of idiots in this world that won't listen to reason.
You aren't being FORCED to work for them, are you?
I've changed jobs before over disagreements about technical management.

>Worse, is the governments insistence that EVERYTHING be written in ADA
>and they can handle controlloing the evolution of the language.....!!

Ada was a highly political development.  It mostly impacts those who
provide deliverable software systems under contract to the U.S. Federal
government.  Initially, this was pretty much limited to embedded systems.

Ada was an attempt to solve an educational and managerial problem
by imposing technical constraints.  Naturally that hurts more than
it helps.

It may be interesting to note that we refuse to use Ada here for our
own purposes.  (Very little of our software development is contracted
out).  It would have utterly ruined our operation if we had had to
comply with the Ada "requirement".  Fortunately, waivers weren't very
hard to obtain.  They're more difficult to get now, so falling back to
"Plan B" (ignore the demands) is becoming a more attractive alternative.