ambiguous ?

Jim Giles jlg at lanl.gov
Tue Oct 24 07:05:41 AEST 1989

>From article <1989Oct22.184222.29580 at twwells.com>, by bill at twwells.com (T. William Wells):
> Followups have been directed to alt.flame.

Followups have been redirected here!!  I don't read alt.flame.

> You see, if you knew beans about C optimizers, [...]

And you do, I suppose?  Then you can explain why you think C is
faster than other languages in spite of the fact that it is inherently
harder to optimize.  Once a program has been parsed and is represented
by an abstract syntax tree (or some other intermediate representation)
it is nearly impossible to tell what language the original source was
in - except C which has more aliasing and potential dependencies than
most other languages.  Also, C's character processing is less efficient
as well.  In those respects that are important to compiling, C is
nearly identical to most other imperative languages.  In those respects
where it differs, it is harder to optimize.

> You may have knowledge, but you are lacking in C wisdom.
                                                 ^^^^^^^^
Is that the peculiar mental condition which prevents you from discussing
an issue without resorting to abuse?