ambiguous ?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Wed Oct 25 05:57:38 AEST 1989

In article <14109 at lanl.gov> jlg at lanl.gov (Jim Giles) writes:
>From article <1989Oct22.184222.29580 at twwells.com>, by bill at twwells.com (T. William Wells):
>> You see, if you knew beans about C optimizers, [...]
>And you do, I suppose?  Then you can explain why ...
>> You may have knowledge, but you are lacking in C wisdom.
>Is that the peculiar mental condition which prevents you from discussing
>an issue without resorting to abuse?

It looks to me like Bill Wells was merely stating the facts that are
apparent to him.  Your inane comments about C's character processing
being less efficient (than in other programming languages) back him
up in his assessment.  For many years one could find systems that
had both Fortran and C compilers implemented using precisely the
same code generation and optimization technology, and on those
systems typical systems programs involving heavy character operations
(e.g. "grep") ran much faster when coded in C than when coded in
Fortran.  I actually tried the experiment once.

Please redirect your flames back to alt.flame.