Pascal to C (and vice versa)

David Bank unkydave at shumv1.uucp
Tue Oct 24 13:43:43 AEST 1989

    I am part of a team writing a largish program for a local
contractor. We are using Microsoft C for our final compilations
and Quick C 2.0 for most of our development. No flames, please, on
our choice of compilers -- it wasn't entirely our decision. The
version of Microsoft C is, by the way, 5.1.

    Anyway, our program compiles and runs fine under Microsoft C.
But if we take the same exact code and put it into Quick C, we
have problems. It compiles fine (admittedly, in C that doesn't count
for much) and links OK. But when we run it we get a "far pointer"
error and the program crashes with error code R6000 I think. Could
be R2000.

    Would someone please do me two favors?

      1) Pardon my ignorance and explain "near" and "far" pointers,
         memory allocations, and heaps (as appropriate).

      2) Tell me how we can get around this (if possible).

    Thank you very much in advance.

Unky Dave
unkydave at shumv1.ncsu.edu

P.S. Oh, yeah, two things. We're on IBM-clones and we are using the
     large (read: fat) memory models.