Help...

Joe English jeenglis at nunki.usc.edu
Thu Oct 12 07:39:31 AEST 1989

This article is not about C, it's about comp.lang.c.
Hit N now if you're not interested:

childers at avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) writes:
>gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>>rang at cs.wisc.edu (Anton Rang) writes:
>>-[ This is not a flame, just a clarification, OK? ]
>>-There is no difference between "char h[]" and "char *h" in a
>>-declaration; they do exactly the same thing.
>>What is this, comp.lang.c.morons?
>
>I think that is quite uncalled for. This is a newsgroup dedicated towards
>helping novices get their feet under them, as well as answering particular
>oddball questions best resolved through consensus. A little tolerance is
>not inappropriate.

Doug Gwyn happens to be one of the more knowledgeable
and helpful posters on this group.  I think it's fair
to allow him his occasional belligerence, which is
generally justifiable even if it is "inappropriate."

>>[ This IS a flame! ]
>
>I liked Anton's clarification better. He was trying to help, and I saw no
>misinformation in _his_ posting, although he _did_ quote  someone else who
>was pretty confused.

There was misinformation in his posting:
char *h; and char h[]; are not identical.

>>At least Rang got one thing right:
>
>Oh, c'mon, he's trying to be helpful. Are you ?

Maybe not in this particular posting, but for the most
part, yes.  He answers most of the "Stupid
Questions" that come up in this group, as well as
the non-stupid ones.  Again, I don't think an
occasional flame is unforgivable.  At least he looked
before he flamed.  Did you?

>Perhaps we need a com.lang.c.wiz for those too busy to help beginners.

If you've read any of the stats for this group, (like
the "Bandwidth Wasters Hall of Fame" recently posted
by a certain notorious idiot) you'd see that Mr. Gwyn
is by no means "too busy to help beginners." If you
feel he has a bad attitude, then use lint (or Chris
Torek :-).

Followups to misc.test.  Rather than start an endless
argument about netiquette, we now return to the
regularly scheduled endless argument about the programming
language.

--Joe English

  jeenglis at nunki.usc.edu