FYI: A Truly pd yacc. (zoo or what is in a name)

Dave Curry davy at riacs.edu
Fri Sep 8 08:11:04 AEST 1989

In article <2989 at quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu> rob at phao.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rob Carriere) writes:
>In article <3615 at yunexus.UUCP> oz at yunexus.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) writes:
>>I received a ton of mail about the name, ZOO, which is of course used by a
>>well-known archiever.
>[...]
>>The point is folks, a ROSE is a ROSE by any other name. Take it, and
>>enjoy it. If you find bugs, we certainly will know what to patch.
>
>That's not the point.  I'm sure you know which program you wrote :-) I'm
>fairly sure I can remember how to use `mv', but I'm not at all sure that I'll
>be able to see which program is which on an archive server.  Those machines
>usually rely on you knowing the program from the name, and that doesn't work
>too well in this case.
>
>SR

Exactly right.  As the maintainer of one of those archives (UNIX-SW on
SIMTEL20), I haven't yet decided what to do about this program.  It
certainly won't be stored as ZOO, since that name is already in
widespread use as something else.  It's bad enough with several
hundred file names to run through, without having to figure out
*which* "ZOO" is intended.

I'll probably just call it PD-YACC or something and warn people not to
call it ZOO.  But it'd be a lot easier if the author would choose some
name that isn't already "taken".  (What does "ZOO" have to do with the
function of the program, anyway?)  (Of course, that question applies
equally well to the other ZOO program...)

Dave Curry
UNIX-SW Coordinator
UNIX-SW-REQUEST at WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL