Request for help w/porting strings (8bit) to (16bit) strings...

George A. Basar aic at mentor.cc.purdue.edu
Mon Sep 25 03:39:43 AEST 1989

In article <251AB160.3031 at drivax.UUCP>, frotz at drivax.UUCP (Frotz) writes:

> 	All of the manuals that I have for this are very clear on the
> function of these calls.  However, it does not give me any clue as to
> WHY I should use them...  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

       The 'why' use of these routines is to ensure compatability on
machines running DBCS(double byte character set) display devices. This makes
your application (relatively) easily portable to DBCS machines.
       The 'where' use of these routines, is on any data that may be displayed
by your application.  This includes strings, but is not limited to them.  For
national language compatability you should also consider date and monetary
formats.

* George A. Basar                              (317)742-8799 (home)
* aic at mentor.cc.purdue.edu                     basar at PURCCVM.BITNET